Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

Do you set New Year's Resolutions? I have always been a big NYR'r. I've spent hours thinking about where I am in life and where I want to be. I write out detailed goals, including all the SMART elements. You know..... Specific, Measurable, Attainable, and Realistic. I even put pictures with each goal. Only problem, in retrospect, is that many of them weren't very SMART - especially in the "Realistic" category - and I typically didn't last through the year.

This year is different. NO NYR's. My #1 plan for this year is to be better to myself, and that includes not stressing myself out with a list of formal resolutions. Instead, there are 2 main things that I want in this year.

1) Take care of myself
2) Be more purposeful

So, what does that look like?

Take care of myself....
- Continue with Weight Watchers. I don't know what my final weight will be. That's not as important to me as being healthy and happy. I know I need to lose some weight and I will.

- Add more movement to my days. Maybe that will be on the track at work. Maybe it will be chasing our little preschoolers around the playground. Maybe it will bike riding with my hubby. Who knows??

- Sleep! I have to "get over" feeling guilty for sleeping. My health depends on getting plenty of real sleep. If the laundry doesn't get done tonight, it will be OK.

- Cut back on stress. My nature is to be a high-stress, Type A person. I had honestly gotten quite a bit better and really didn't let too many things get to me. For some reason, I've really struggled with this for the past 6 months or so. I am going to make a concerted effort to work on this.

- Spend more time doing things I enjoy: Enjoying life with my Hubbs, Gardening, Scrapbooking, Decorating, Tablescaping

- Buying a rolling cart so I don't have to carry my super heavy work bag every day.

Be more purposeful...
- Go back to tracking everything through WW. Now that I have an iphone, I can even track on my phone.

- Not spending mindless hours on the computer. Caveat -- reading blogs and spending time on pintrest is therapeutic for me, so I won't be giving it up entirely. I just want to cut back and do other things with my time, as well.

- Leave work at work -- as much as possible. Remember the "Realistic" problem from the past?? Well, I know myself and my responsibilities well enough to know that I can't completely eliminate working from home. It just comes with the territory. Still, I have the power to control it. I'm going to! I am not - and will not - be defined solely by my occupation.

- In my prayer-life and church-life

- With my family time and in my interactions with others

Those plans may be too "mushy" for the business-type folks out there, but for where I am right now, I think they suit me just fine! These are things that I KNOW I can do and I know they will make me a happier, healthier person and that's the only goal I need!

Here's to an awesome 2013!!

No comments: