Friday, January 17, 2014

1st week of classes

Hooray - the first week of classes is over and everything went really well. I think I'm going to like being Professor Jenkins! Hee Hee! (That still sounds so funny to me!) Teaching on a collegiate level is something that's been in the back of my mind for a long time. It's exciting that I'm now here.

My class roll keeps changing, but it looks like I'm going to have about 65 students. That's a lot of young faces staring back at me and feverishly writing whatever I say. I'm learning that I'll have to adjust my teaching style a little bit. When I do workshops and conferences, I have the leniency to share stories as they come to mind. Now, I have so much specific content that has be addressed, that I'll have to limit the number of "extras" that I share. I do plan to still make the class fun for the students and of course, that includes "real life" stories; I'll just have to cut back a little.

This week, we started the semester by talking about professionalism -- what is a profession and who is a professional. Let's just say that I'm pretty sure I made an impression today....... : )

Teaching this class is definitely taking a lot out of me. I have to walk 10-12 minutes from my car to the classroom - twice a day. Then, I stand for an hour. My office is in a completely different part of the building on the 3rd floor. I am BEYOND EXHAUSTED when I get finished. My legs are swollen and I feel like I'm walking on needles. Luckily, I pull a bag instead of carrying one, but my arms are so tired it's hard to raise them. I have literally come home and gone right to sleep after each class. I sure hope this doesn't last, because I'm just miserable for the rest of the day. I want to enjoy this experience and not dread it!

All in all, it's been a great week and I'm super honored and excited by the opportunity. I am blessed!

No comments: