Monday, July 30, 2012

Back from vacation

It's always nice to get away! We've just returned from a great 2-week vacation to see family. We've made this trip before, but this time was a little different -- my mother-in-law went with us. I enjoyed having her with us. It was nice to get to know one another a little better. Ha -- she may have gotten to know me better than she wanted!!! OOPS! : )

Anyway, I was a good visitor, but a terrible blogger!! I didn't post any updates at all and in fact, I took very few pictures! Oh well. We had fun and that's what counts!

We had a great time touring Amish County (Lancaster, PA)



While we were in Pennsylvania, Dave and I played golf at a gorgeous course!! We don't have all these strange things where we live.....Things like grass, hills, and trees! Oh - and that terrible humidity!


A trip into Scranton for some D-LISH philly cheesesteak - wid. We couldn't believe our eyes when we saw actual Birch Beer on tap! We immediately took a picture to send back to Texas to make my brother-in-law jealous! Aren't we sweet??


Lake Winola, PA -- my dear husband's most favorite place in the entire world. It is really beautiful. So calm and peaceful! I love experiencing it with him. This time was special because I also got to share it with my sweet mother-in-law. They lived around here for a long time and it is still considered "home". 


We said good-bye to dear friends and headed south to Kentucky to spend some time with my mother and father. Just like the north-east part of PA is "home" to my husband's family, central KY is "home" to my family. It was kinda funny hearing the same kind of stories, only this time my daddy was sharing them. Guess those small town, happy memories make an impression - no matter where you live!

We spent one full day in Berea, KY. In this picture, we are eating in the famous Boone Tavern. I had my first Hot Brown - a long time KY delicacy. Yummy!



We spent another day in Shaker Town. It was very interesting. This gentleman is showing us how they make some of their wooden items. I had my first smell of sassafras!


We spent a couple of days in Kentucky and then it was time to head home. To help break up the long trip (3 days!!), we stopped in Nashville to see my granddaddy, in Arkansas to see Dave's youngest son, and in Oklahoma City to see the at the National Oklahoma City Memorial. It is powerful!! I highly recommend everyone stopping to see it.


So, after 14 days, 4000 miles, and quite a few pounds later, our vacation came to an end. As glad as I was to go, I was equally as glad to get home. I love to travel, but there's nothing like your own bed!!

No comments: