Monday, September 30, 2013

Pallet Flag

One last summer project --- My pallet flag

I've been stashing this old pallet behind the house for a long time....waiting for just the right time to create a flag. I'm thrilled with how it turned out! It was also super easy to make.

I started with a plain pallet. Just a simple little thing that I happened to stumble upon one day! (Perks of living in a constant construction area!) I love the heftiness of it, but I didn't love the green paint all over the top and bottom. I just used a nasty old paintbrush to brush on some old brown paint-like stuff. (A few years ago, I picked up a random can of brown pain. It's super old and gross, but it does the job when I need it.)


I just wanted a good base and something to cover up the green.
                                      

Next came the measuring. I used a very faint pencil line to measure the blue square and the red/while stripes. They didn't end up perfectly spaced, but they are close.
   
                                         

I painted the blue square first and then immediately painted the red stripes. I didn't tape anything off. I wanted this to be more "hand-made" -- nothing perfect or fancy.


I  was definitely not going to free-hand all of those stars!! Holy cow!! I'm crazy, but smart enough to know better than to attempt stars! I dismantled a clearance 4th of July stake and then traced the stars.

 
White paint for stars and stripes, and this pallet flag was finished!!
                                      

I did not try to distress it at all. A short time in this West Texas weather and it will be perfectly distressed! Just the way all you city-folk spend so much time and money trying to create!! ; )

We screwed in into the fence as a backdrop for one of my flower beds. I can't wait for next year when the sunflowers and the canna are still standing proud. Won't it be beautiful?? 
 
All in all, a pretty good day's work!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kay E. said...

I really love this flag! You did such a great job on it!